Monday 9 January 2012

Penguin

Here's the truth: I've found it so very difficult to get back on the sewing horse since Christmas!  It's not that I haven't wanted to sew, but I just couldn't decide what project to start next!  I've been dying (er..., maybe a slight exaggeration) to start another quilt, and I've ordered some lovely fabric from Hawthorne Threads for said quilt, but anticipating it's arrival has proven to be too much to bare while not being preoccupied with another project.  I have been excitedly waiting for the material to arrive, but I needed to make something while waiting....and waiting (it's amazing how long a week feels when fabric it on it's way)!
In walks Mr. Miss Penguin.  Remember that adorable Oliver + S book that my sister got me for Christmas?  Well, I chose a little project out of there to keep me busy the past few evenings.  And she turned out just perfect!

The original had a blue pocket at the front, but since I was making this for Arlyn, I decided on a delightful pink print and added the bow for a little girly flare!

Side view.

The book gave step-by-step instruction on EVERYTHING...which was especially needed for the zipper.  I haven't had a lot of experience with zippers, but the directions were very clear and it actually worked!  :) 

View from the back.
The straps were simple and they're adjustable...perfect for the growing baby/toddler/preschooler.

Note that she's trying to take it off...
Arlyn loves to look at her new back pack, but is not too keen on wearing it....yet.  I'm sure when she realises that she can carry around all of her 'stuff' in it she's going to bring it everywhere (and yes, I am an idealist).  :)
Crossing my fingers that I'm going to get my fabric tomorrow - to be honest, I actually have three different packages I'm waiting on: two small and one hefty.  Bah!  I can't wait any longer!!!


4 comments:

  1. THAT is a adorable!!! :) Great job, Karina!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christine Chadwick9 January 2012 at 21:03

    Karina, you really are amazing. Your giving me the itch to pull out my machine and start a project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy crap, you really made that!?! Dude, you rock! And this blog is super super adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the cutest thing! I remember seeing an image of this awhile back, maybe in the Oliver + S flickr pool, and I thought the bow was genius. I just made one of these for my little girl, and I hope you don't mind my adding a bow like yours, because it is so, so cute! Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Great, you're leaving a comment...I LOVE comments!